Looking for an interesting essay topic to spark your interest and impress your tutors? Who said that academic writing cannot be fun? Choose an interesting essay topic, and you will start enjoying it. You will surely find some topics matching your interests among these top 100 best essay topics.
- Interesting essay topics to spark your interest
- Interesting essay topics to awaken your creativity
- Interesting essay topics to impress your tutors
- Interesting essay topics to give you food for thought
- Topics to prove your point of view
- Various topics of academic essays of different types
- Topics to persuade readers
- Topics that can cause mistakes
- How to write an interesting essay
Interesting essay topics to spark your interest
This list of essay topics is perfect for students who like to write about debatable issues and are always taking sides of disputes.
Each of these topic provokes everyone to join the discussion—and may start debates that last for an hour or more! With such exciting topics, people are captivated to read your essays, whether the essay topic is persuasive or not, and offer their ideas to support or contradict your point of view.
- Extreme sports - is adrenaline worth the risk?
- If athletes cannot use steroids, is it fair for models to use Photoshop?
- 90-60-90… Do all people need to be of the same size, and does beauty need any standards?
- If there are video game competitions, can gaming be regarded as a sport?
- Facebook, MySpace, Twitter – do they improve communication skills or reduce social activity in the real world?
- Nature versus nurture – what wins?
- Can “bad” genes be an excuse for divorce and crime?
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have three adopted children. Will these kids become successful like their parents?
- Should people keep their good deeds a secret? Goodwill versus PR.
- Is life what we make it, or do we depend on blind fate?
Interesting essay topics to awaken your creativity
Here are another ten essay topics to practice in university – working with such texts is a pleasure. They are perfect to sharpen your imaginative thinking and persuasive skills, and they are captivating enough to discuss with friends or relatives. So, they are definitely not one of those essay topics to avoid in college or at home!
- The games people play and masks they wear: Sincerity versus politeness.
- Is it ethical to advertise products to children?
- Is it acceptable to use white lies in advertisements?
- Environmental pollution is a global problem. Should everyone make a small contribution to the struggle against it?
- Is one volunteer really worth ten pressed men? How can motivation improve outcomes?
- What do you think of “Calvin Klones”? Is fashion more important than individuality?
- Is there a problem of a generation gap in modern families?
- Should children follow in their parents’ footsteps?
- Zoos claim to contribute to the conservation of species. Can a zoo be a better habitat for a giraffe than the savanna?
- Should people keep pets? Do companion animals feel comfortable in homes?
Interesting essay topics to impress your tutors
Here is another list of essay topics to improve your writing. These topics are a little more difficult to research and have a lot information to cover, but they are certainly intriguing to read or discuss. If you choose one of these topics, it’ll be the first time your instructor has seen it for sure!
- Why do skeletal models still remain a modern standard of beauty?
- Unschooling and home education – their pros and cons.
- Visitors can damage historical sites. Should these places still be open to tourists?
- Is it better to follow your dream or to investigate the job market when choosing a profession?
- There are people who stop at nothing when there is a possibility to make money. Is it praise - or blameworthy?
- E-books and audio books versus printed publications – downloading e-books to save trees?
- Should internet forums use censorship, or does it harm the free speech principle?
- Should women have the right to abortion if serious handicaps are detected in their unborn children? Isn’t it an excuse of those who do not want to take care of a handicapped child?
- Ethical issues surrounding surrogate motherhood
- Should same-sex couples be allowed to adopt children?
Interesting essay topics to give you food for thought
If you still don't know what essay topics to write about, check out this thought-provoking list – there are many ideas to consider and choose. Plus, this set of questions is not only perfect for essays; they also make interesting speech topics to discuss with your audience.
- Errors in any sphere are unavoidable. Do doctors, judges, and teachers have the right to make mistakes?
- How can capital punishment be acceptable if judges’ errors are inevitable?
- Why use stick and carrot motivation? Wouldn’t stick policies be enough?
- It is said that women are from Venus, and men are from Mars. Are men and women really that different?
- Can women be regarded as the weaker sex today?
- Modern theater and remakes of classic plays – new interpretation or outrage?
- Is Graffiti Art or Vandalism?
- Can the way to success be laziness?
- Does an artist need talent to create abstract pictures?
- Live to eat or eat to live? Healthy diets versus favorite dishes.
This list of interesting college essay topics is worth its weight in gold if you look for a source of inspiration. Every interesting essay topic from this list is based on a fresh idea or a provocative question.
Unique paper topics are the key to your academic success. But there's still one question – does an interesting topic mean an interesting essay, or is it just the beginning of laborious work? To find out, read further!
Topics to prove your point of view
To write an argumentative essay that will have a sufficient number of proofs and points of view, it is required to choose an interesting topic.
Despite the fact that any paper is purely individual, there are still specific rules to follow. Otherwise, an article may not have any scientific power.
More than that, the author will have to prove their arguments constantly. Also, there will be discussions of specific facts with other people who might disagree with what’s written.
Thus, any simple argumentative essay should the specific features of this type of work to achieve as much effectiveness as possible. The topics to discuss with the audience can be as follows:
- Patients in the hospital need better care
This essay will describe the problems of modern nursing care.
- The search for oil is one of the priorities today
This persuasive research paper is associated with the problem of oil search and striving for leadership.
- The credibility of data in the media is questionable
The theme is connected with the problem of understatement or lies in the media.
- Nobody wants to deal with obsessive sellers
An argumentative and persuasive essay on this topic should describe the best methods to sell goods and not to annoy potential buyers.
- Deviant behavior is a consequence but not a cause
An argumentative essay format of this topic implies for revealing the problems that can lead to the occurrence of deviant behavior in adolescents and adults.
- The more you take sports, the better it is
Argumentative essay subjects, in this case, should relate to sport and reveal the advantages of a healthy lifestyle and regular sports activities.
- Consultations with colleagues at work can increase the level of trust in the team
When writing a good argumentative essay on this topic, you can try to reveal the connection between interaction and good relations.
- People who cannot communicate with others feel depressed
The problem of the lack of communication and the consequences that can arise are described in such an article.
- Excessive passion for video games affects mental health
You can write an argumentative essay and persuasive essay; the topic will reveal the danger that great affection for video games brings.
- Personal experience is useful in the process of getting an education
When it is about an argumentative research essay of such a theme, the benefits of personal experience and knowledge should be discussed to persuade your readers in the necessity to self-study.
- Other authors’ works can be helpful when writing scientific papers
The advantages of citing respected authors’ thoughts will be described in such persuasive essay papers.
- Industrial spheres prevail other others
In this paper, you will present your opinion concerning the distribution of industrial enterprises on the planet.
- Territories of wildlife are increasing
To write an excellent argumentative essay on this topic, you should give specific statistical data to demonstrate your knowledge of the environmental pollution and information concerning the human activity.
- Swimming is one the healthiest hobbies
Try to reveal the benefits of swimming for the human health.
- Teaching is the profession of patient people
The paper aims at disclosing teachers’ features of character and their positive traits.
The possibilities of a persuasive essay are quite large. Authors of such works can successfully convey their point of view to the audience, using not only personal knowledge and experience. They can also include the opinions of other respected people.
The more arguments there are–the higher the chance is that the article will turn out to be interesting. The use of narrowly focused topics certainly limits the potential readership.
Various topics of academic essays of different types
In the process of disclosing a particular topic, it is not always possible to use the same methods. For example, sometimes you need to compare two or more phenomena or concepts. And sometimes you have to consider specific points critically.
To know about almost all the possible types of essays, it is recommended to consider the following tips. They will help you learn creative writing and make your texts unique and exciting for readers; topics can be as follows:
- Compare and contrast the issues of successful and unhappy marriages
Quite often, a comparative essay is used when considering specific issues related to sociology, and this topic is one of them. This type of work is sometimes called a discursive essay.
- The consequences of the Chernobyl disaster
Just as in a compare-contrast essay, several research objects can be used here. A cause-effect piece on this theme is a comprehensive study of factors that arise for the reason of a famous disaster that happened in 1986.
- All the world’s religions are similar
The topic should present the similarity of various religious concepts. Here, argumentative issues are used, and excellent argumentative essays imply adequate author’s criticism based on verified confirmations.
- Animals species in Australia: a great variety of the local fauna
A descriptive essay on this topic gives a detailed description of the reasons why there are so many unique animals species on this continent and includes listing some of them. Such essay subjects must be relevant only to the nature of Australia.
- Possible factors that influence the effectiveness of employee’ work
It can be an exploratory essay that is different from many other types of articles. Its essence is a continuous study of all the possible phenomena that influence people's results rather than an assessment or criticism of particular nuances. This type of work is not similar to a persuasive research paper where a specific point of view is proved. On the contrary, the author seeks to find the most accurate results on a given topic.
- The evaluation of the effectiveness of electronic control systems at industrial enterprises
This topic implies another approach in comparison with an argumentative essay paper; there is no need to give clear arguments, just a personal opinion.
- The great Shakespeare’s masterpiece
This literature essay aims at studying a particular text and the author's assessment of the events described in his famous plays.
- The leadership on the enterprise should be involved in working on increasing productivity
A perfect argumentative essay will contain arguments in favor of the leadership that is actively involved in the affairs of a specific company and is bothered by its successes.
- The implementation of electronic resources for the preparation of students
This topic implies an admission essay that, as a rule, is used as an official document in universities and colleges. The essence of such a paper is to assess an applicant’s abilities.
- Financial indicators of the success of specific business strategies
This theme is associated with a persuasive paper that is also called argumentative. This type of writing has much in common with an expository essay where you also need to provide statistics or accurate data to confirm a particular point of view.
As you can see from the examples, there are quite a few types of essays. If you want to master the techniques of writing each of them, you should follow the rules of their compilation and formatting.
Topics to persuade readers
To write an excellent argumentative essay and fully reveal the stated issue, it is worthwhile to be guided by specific rules for writing this type of work.
However, it is significant to use not only credible sources and reliable arguments but also choose the theme that will be interesting to readers. You can use one of the following topics:
- An open society should have open borders
The theme should include the explanation of specific social norms and freedoms.
- Military service should be mandatory
An acute issue concerning the necessity to make young men join the army will be touched upon in such an essay.
- Unemployment contributes to economic development
You should give specific arguments to support this somewhat controversial statement.
- Television forms a new type of culture
The features of modern TV should be mentioned, as well as its influence on the human consciousness.
- The UN should expand the protection of cultural human rights
This relevant topic is quite common, and your task is to describe all the measures that should be taken to protect people all over the world.
- Technical progress leads to the death of civilization
The theme is another relevant topic for discussion, and various pieces of evidence can support the claim regarding the bad influence of technical progress on the society and its values.
- Schools should not engage in students’ upbringing
This topic aims at disclosing the necessity of parental control over children; as an argument, the statement can be used that schools cannot be responsible for all the forms of misbehavior among children.
- Teaching boys and girls should be separate
The purpose of this paper is to give arguments in support of the necessity for separate education in schools.
- Knowledge is the path to enlightenment
Your task is to reveal the opportunities that knowledge gives to people and different ways that they open.
- Cultural ideals degrade under the influence of modern values
The topic will describe a significant change in value over time and present some negative results of these changes.
- Working relationships affect the perception of immediate duties
In such a paper, you should present your arguments to support the idea that a particular microclimate mainly depends on employee's productivity.
- The concepts of management and leadership are not identical
You will describe these two concepts and give specific details regarding the difference between them.
- The choice of profession directly depends on the degree of interest in personal growth
The theme aims at revealing the necessity to try to self-develop and strive for achieving as high results as possible.
- Global warming is an anthropogenic problem
When choosing this topic, you should propose specific arguments regarding negative consequences of the human activity.
- Technical progress hinders the cultural development of people
In this paper, you can reveal your ideas concerning the desire of people to develop the world of technology and the neglect of absolute moral truths on the path of their development.
- Pollution of water and air is a natural process of civilization
You should prove that the technical development of the world is almost impossible without the contamination of the planet. It is possible to assume that not enough technologies have been developed to this moment to get rid of garbage and other wastes efficiently.
- Double standards in politics are unacceptable
The topic will include pieces of evidence to criticize double standards that some politicians adhere and some potential ways to eliminate such a problem.
- The use of atomic energy does not harm the environment
You can develop this topic and give specific examples of successful human activities to demonstrate that modern means of receiving energy do not cause much damage to the environment.
- Abortion is a deliberate murder
This paper will include rather categorical arguments and will refer to many moral principles that contradict such a thing as abortion.
- The possibilities of the human body are unlimited
The theme can study how much people can achieve if they train their body and have specific and clear goals.
- Competent distribution of time is one of the primary conditions for success
The author of such a paper can give examples of how to best manage personal time to achieve good results at work and have time to do quite a many things.
- Chronic diseases should be treated in time
This essay on a medical topic will contain some arguments and professional doctors’ opinions regarding the need to receive timely treatment certain chronic diseases for the sake of excluding complications.
- Space exploration has considerably slowed down
You can offer some arguments to prove that people are deeply involved in developing various technologies on the Earth and give insufficient attention to the exploration of outer space, as it was before.
- Rare animal species can be saved
This paper aims to propose concrete measures that can be useful to protect animals from dangerous human activities.
- Conflicts in the workplace can be resolved
You can describe various psychological techniques to resolve conflicts and not spoil relationships with colleagues.
All these topics are examples of how you can develop a specific theme and prove your thoughts with clear arguments. Authors can always try to write a funny persuasive essay, which, nevertheless, will also be able to touch on issues that will be of interest to the society.
Argumentative essay beginners can try their hand at more straightforward articles. The topic of the work does not need to be as complicated as possible. An excellent persuasive essay can be simple, but it is significant for authors not to forget about how a compelling piece should look like.
Topics that can cause mistakes
You can write a creative essay without using a large number of sources.
Great persuasive speeches, as a rule, contain exciting ideas, not only a scientific text that will be interesting to a small group of people.
Nevertheless, when writing an English argumentative essay or an article in any other language, it is essential to avoid typical mistakes that inexperienced authors often make.
Moreover, to write compelling essays, some people choose somewhat tricky topics that can become the cause of problems:
- The evaluation of the development of an accounting department next year
Such an analytical essay can be full of unnecessary information, which hardly conveys the general essence of the article and can be easily excluded from the text without the loss of sense.
- The comparison of the country’s total gross product over the past decade
It is quite a problematic theme that requires specific knowledge in the sphere of economics. Persuasive essay writers sometimes choose too complex topics, and it is essential to not only know how to reveal this or that issue but also to find reliable sources of information.
- The events of the American Civil War in the chronological order
Great persuasive essays like this one can be appreciated only if the data used in them is accurate; in such a paper, you should give correct information and not miss any significant point to give your readers the most useful data.
- The development of baseball and the formation of the game rules
This topic aims at describing the history of baseball development, but it is likely to have a limited number of readers. Argumentative subjects should be close to the target audience; otherwise, the theme will be uninteresting.
- The development of printing in pictures and tables
Such a topic means that you will have to use many graphic elements. The format for an argumentative essay should not differ from generally accepted standards.
- The opinions of famous philosophers about the upbringing of children
If it is an excellent discursive essay, it should have an appropriate number quotes that should be cited appropriately. Without them, the argumentative paper will look too weak, and you will be blamed for the lack of identical pieces of evidence.
- The peculiarities of the English literature in 17-19th centuries
This theme is directly connected with literature, and any English persuasive essay should be not only relevant but also competently written. Any grammatical, punctuation or other errors are inadmissible; otherwise, the argumentative article will be considered unsuccessful and will not be able to comply with the rules of writing.
- Five great thoughts regarding the unacceptability of racism
An excellent persuasive essay on this topic will discuss outstanding people’s opinions about a stated problem and at the same time will be completely free from plagiarism. In no case can you use other people’s thoughts and texts without first quoting them in the text.
- Difficulties of various professions: the experience of different people
This topic means that you will have to use some opinions of different respondents to convey the general idea of such a paper fully. In the process of writing an argumentative essay help can be provided by colleagues or other authors. Remember: great argumentative essays contain your arguments supported by evidence; otherwise, your work will be considered to be false.
- A comparative study of the sources confirming the need to introduce electronic knowledge assessment systems
This theme will be connected with the review of various articles and online resources to compare authors’ results and give a specific conclusion. It will be useful to pay attention to electronic libraries and other services where various scientific articles and other works of respected scientists are collected. If you do not do it, your paper can have insufficiently relevant arguments.
How to write an interesting essay
You may think that interesting essay titles do all the work, letting you add obvious examples and share ordinary ideas. But this isn’t true! To pleasantly surprise everyone with your essay, you have to be patient and spend some time on the research. Next, you should apply your skills to make interesting essay hooks for your audience. You should also constantly work to improve your writing style and make your essay attractive to read and easy to navigate.
Here are some tips to improve your writing:
- Use interesting essay phrases
To write an outstanding essay, it is essential to use specific academic language. When finding words to express ideas or describe arguments, check out this helpful list of phrases. It can help you vary your writing and improve your organization by adding linking words.
- Consider your essay structure
Always think deeply about how to create a good essay structure — it’s an important part of academic writing. Of course, you shouldn't get too creative with your structure because academic writing follows some standard rules. But do make sure that your structure is clear and precise for everyone who wants to read it. It does matter how you lead your readers through your essay and how easily they can find information.
- Make up a story
If your essay type allows it, write an interesting essay about life — when you include a personal experience in your writing, people are more likely to become invested in your essay. Of course, you won’t always have a real situation to discuss for every topic – sometimes you have to borrow ideas from other people or just use your imagination. Tell an adventurous story to your readers, and they will definitely appreciate it.
- Read interesting essay examples
Whenever you catch yourself feeling captivated by someone's essay or article, take a closer look at it. What exactly captured your attention? How can you apply these features in your own writing to develop your style? Does this author have unique tricks to make people stay, read, and share his or her essays with their friends? When it comes to writing, you always have an opportunity to learn, and it is better to learn from the best of the best.
- Know the topic you’re going to discuss
Of course, you shouldn’t write only on those topics you learned about in college or read a scientific book about. But before writing an essay, make sure that your research is complete enough that you won’t write something banal or flat-out wrong. Some of the most interesting essay topics are provocative, leading people to debate them on their grounds.
In this article, you’ve read some tips to apply in order to write an outstanding essay: know your topic, improve your language, create a good structure, and so on. And now you have a list of interesting essay topics to practice at home or in college! If you need any more help with writing essays, just write us.