Environment issues essay aims at spreading awareness of pollution problems, climate change, global warming, and many other issues. It is a common type of essay for writing parts of a lot of exams. Environment protection essay is also assigned to high school and college students.
custom essay specifically for you
for only $12.00 $10.20/page
In this article, you will find out:
- Current TOP-7 environment issues
- 133 environment essay topics
- How to outline your essay
- Different essay writing tips
- 4 essay examples
🌎 Environment Issues Essay – What Is It About?
Ecology has always played a significant role in all people’s lives. We all depend on it, but unfortunately, more and more environmental problems occur each year. They affect nature and our way of life. To stop the spread of these issues, we need to get to know them first.
Top 7 Environmental Issues of 2021
Here’s the list of some relevant environmental issues that take place in the modern world. Before writing your paper, you might want to learn as much information on the topic as you can. Let’s take a closer look at each of the issues, their causes and effects.
Each year there are fewer trees and forests. Why is it happening?
100% original paper on any topic
done in as little as
According to World Population Balance, the U.S. population grows by over a million people each year. An increasing number of people leads to the growing demand for land for living, agriculture, highways, etc. We have no other option but to cut the amount of open land, which leads to deforestation.
Plastic may seem a suitable material: it is flexible, cheap, and strong. However, plastic is also hazardous and toxic to the environment. According to National Geographic, 91% of all the plastic ever produced hasn’t been recycled. It takes around 400 years for it to decompose, so it continues to pollute nature.
Each year, around one-third of food produced worldwide gets wasted. This amount is enough to feed about 3 billion people.
Food waste also leads to the waste of resources, global warming, and climate change.
Why do people waste food? It might be happening unintentionally. For example, when you leave last bites on your plate or throw away the leftovers that you couldn’t manage.
specifically for you!
According to Worldwide Health Organization, around 7 million people die due to air pollution annually. It causes lung cancer and other respiratory diseases.
What causes air pollution?
There are numerous reasons: outdoor pollution such as vehicles, industries, and agriculture. Household air pollution like exposure to smoke from cooking or heating might also be one of the reasons.
The rise of temperature causes a lot of different adverse effects on the world. It causes:
- climate change
- glaciers melting
- insect swarming
- ice shelves collapsing
- tropical storms, and many other issues
Recent events such as wildfires in Australia and California result from global warming too.
written from scratch
by professional specifically for you?
As humankind continues its development, it overuses resources from nature. Since agriculture needs more systems each year, people turn forests, fields, and other natural habitats into them. It leads to biodiversity loss. Some species’ population has decreased dramatically by 68% from 1970 to 2016.
Melting Ice Caps
Melting ice caps is also a serious issue because it’s the main reason for the sea-level rise. It mainly concerns the Arctic since this is where climate change has the most significant negative impact. The sea level rise might affect coastal regions by flooding them. Moreover, it might force around 340 million to 480 million people to migrate and cause overpopulation.
💡 133 Environmental Essay Topics
If you’re struggling with choosing your environmental issues essay topics, here’s the list of 133 essay topics ideas. It is better to choose something you’re genuinely interested in.
- How does melting ice caps affect the rising sea level?
- The correlation between population growth and deforestation.
- How does plastic affect nature?
- The danger of food waste and the ways to prevent it.
- Dangerous effects of air pollution.
- Harmful effects of global warming.
- Biodiversity loss: causes and effects.
- The correlation between climate change and melting ice caps.
- How can we improve agriculture?
- Human impact on nature.
- Environmentalist movements and their impact on politics.
- Ecotourism and its benefits.
- The pros and cons of nuclear energy.
- The correlation between globalization and ecological issues.
- How to save the world from air pollution?
- How does our lifestyle affect the environment?
- The importance of waste management and recycling.
- Production and consumption impact on the environment.
- How dangerous is microplastic?
- How can zero-waste help our planet?
- The advantages of green engineering.
- What is earth day, and why is it important?
- Social impact on climate change.
- Healthy lifestyle habits and their impact on the environment.
- The most vulnerable regions to the rising sea level.
- The change of the average air temperature in my area.
- Acid rain: causes and effects.
- Social and environmental sciences connection.
- Conservation projects in my region.
- Pandas’ extinction and how we can prevent it.
- What is an ecosystem, and how does it work?
- Melting glaciers and their impact on the environment.
- The correlation between climate change and natural disasters.
- Why is ocean acidification dangerous?
- Climate crisis and climate refugees.
- How climate change impacts agriculture.
- The greenhouse effect and how it works.
- The ways to prevent global warming.
- Deforestation and its impact on climate.
- How does tree planting affect climate change?
- The reason behind plants and animal extinction.
- Population growth: causes and effects.
- The reason behind birds’ migration.
- What is green construction, and why is it beneficial?
- How can responsible consumption help nature?
- Green technology and how it can help the environment.
- How can we improve agriculture without harming the environment?
- Invasive species and how they can harm the environment.
- GMO: advantages and disadvantages.
- The process of the nutrient cycle.
- What are sustainable environmental practices?
- How can we save more energy?
- What are alternatives to plastic?
- Commercial fishing impact on the ocean.
- What is a marine ecosystem, and how do we affect it?
- Energy efficiency and its importance.
- How do fossil fuels damage the environment?
- The controversy behind environmental laws.
- Air quality in your country.
- Why is urban sprawl a problem?
- Different types of environmentalism.
- Wildlife reserves and how they work.
- Ecotourism regulations in your country.
- Ecological footprint and its impact on nature.
- Simple everyday habits that can help the environment.
- Different ways of recycling water.
- What is sustainable food?
- The most popular renewable energy sources.
- Various factors of sustainability.
- Climate change and global warming difference.
- Human impact on climate.
- The reasons behind climate change.
- Why is carbon dioxide harmful?
- The reasons for the carbon dioxide increase.
- Fracking and why it is bad.
- Ozone depletion: causes and effects.
- Three basic methods of ecological research.
- Different types of recycling.
- Volunteer organizations and their contribution to environmental health.
- Does eco-friendly marketing help the environment?
- Carpooling and its contribution to the environment.
- Human impact on global warming.
- The water purification technology.
- Environmental organizations and what they do.
- Environmental activities to do at home.
- Famous environmental activists and the difference they made.
- What is emancipatory environmentalism?
- Green political parties and their influence.
- Environmental justice: goals and causes.
- Can any country become green?
- Environmental law and its history.
- How does emission trading work?
- Ecological niches and their types.
- Pollution and its impact on our health.
- The most significant causes of desertification.
Didn’t find the topic that perfectly suits your taste? You are welcome to use our essay topic generator!
📑 Environmental Issues Essay: Outline
The environmental issues essay consists of three parts: introduction, body, and conclusion. The optimal length is five paragraphs (around 200-300 words).
So, what do you write in each of them?
In the introduction part, you can mention the following:
- the current environmental situation in the world;
- the specific topic you chose;
- your thesis statement.
The introduction part shouldn’t be very long. One paragraph is usually enough.
The thesis statement is your main idea that you need to support in your body part. Let’s say you want to write about the dangerous effects of air pollution. “Air pollution not only harms the environment but also is the cause of numerous diseases.” This might be your thesis.
Need to formulate a thesis statement? Use our thesis-making tool!
In the body, make sure to:
- elaborate on your thesis statement;
- find reliable references with precise information;
- suggest some advice on the chosen problem;
- be argumentative.
The length of the body depends on the size of the whole paper. A five-paragraph essay should contain a three-paragraph body. A five-page research paper, in its turn, would have a four-page body.
Finally, write your one-paragraph conclusion. Here you can:
- sum up your essay;
- restate your thesis statement.
🛡️ Environment Protection Essay: Writing Prompts & Example
Environment protection starts with each of us. So, a good essay topic might be about how each of us can contribute to it.
You can list some options of how we can protect the environment. You can try to persuade the reader to contribute. It might be simple everyday steps or a more significant contribution like volunteering. Make sure to mention their benefits as well.
Some sample questions to answer in your essay:
- How can we protect the environment?
- What are the ways to decrease pollution?
- What are the governmental policies of environment protection?
- What should we preserve nature from?
Environment Protection Essay Example: 250 Words
|Introduction||The environment has been suffering from our actions for a long time. A lot of people tend to believe that only big corporations are in charge of hurting our planet. However, every person somehow takes part in polluting the environment. So, what can we do to protect nature from ourselves?|
|Body Paragraph 1||First of all, we can recycle our waste. Every person produces a particular amount of waste every day. We don’t even notice how much plastic, paper, and other things we use daily. So, the easiest we can do is recycling. This simple habit can make a big difference.|
|Body Paragraph 2||We can also use less water. By conserving water, we can keep it clean and pure. People waste too much water doing everyday activities. We can save it when we brush our teeth, wash the dishes or take a shower. Moreover, it can not only help the planet but also save money.|
|Body Paragraph 3||A more significant contribution is volunteering. This option is not for everyone. However, if everyone could spend at least one hour a month doing cleanups volunteering, the world would be much cleaner. It is an excellent opportunity to help the environment and motivate others to do the same.|
|Conclusion||To sum up, we need to keep in mind that we are the ones responsible for the place we all live in. There are numerous ways we can help nature. However, even these simple steps can make a huge difference.|
☘️ Eco-friendly Environment Essay: Writing Prompts & Example
What to write in an eco-friendly environment essay?
You can list various ways to maintain an eco-friendly environment. Here are some of them:
- Eco-friendly marketing
- Green movements
- Eco-friendly technology
- Energy conserving
- RRR (reduce, reuse, recycle)
Another option is to explain how you maintain an eco-friendly environment. Maybe you recycle your waste at home or avoid using fuel vehicles? You can also create a list of effective and ineffective ways to create an eco-friendly environment. It is better to read some articles on this issue before starting your writing.
Eco-friendly Environment Essay Example: 250 Words
|Introduction||We can maintain an eco-friendly environment through laws, services, goods, and policies to minimize human harm to nature. People have been polluting the environment for a long time. That’s why for the past few years, a nature-friendly lifestyle has been actively promoted. So, how are we building an eco-friendly environment?|
|Body Paragraph 1||A lot of companies are now using eco-friendly marketing. They release eco-friendly and recycled products and organic food. Many cafes try to cut out plastic: they don’t use plastic straws and give discounts to customers with their own cups.|
|Body Paragraph 2||More and more people join the green movements. Green movements or environmental movements aim at spreading awareness of environmental issues. Some people maintain eco-friendly habits like recycling or carpooling. Others make a more significant impact: they join different nonprofit organizations or protests. Either way can contribute to an eco-friendly environment.|
|Body Paragraph 3||Eco-friendly technology is also a part of a nature-friendly lifestyle. Usage of this kind of technology can also help to reduce the damage to the planet. It includes alternative energy, water purification, LED and CFL lighting, green vehicles, etc. This technology becomes more affordable. So, almost every person has at least one eco-friendly tech product at home.|
|Conclusion||So, although there are numerous environmental issues, we can reduce the damage. We can do it by maintaining an eco-friendly environment. Everyone can find something they can do to contribute to nature protection.|
♻️ Human Impact on the Environment Essay: Writing Prompt & Example
As we all know, people are the ones who affect nature the most. So, in this essay, you can elaborate on how people harm the planet.
Some of the issues you could focus on are:
- Air pollution
- Water pollution
- Plastic pollution
- Climate change
- Global warming
Make sure also to include your advice on how we can solve these problems.
Human Impact on the Environment Essay Example: 250 Words
|Introduction||Humans have been affecting nature in both negative and positive ways. We constantly pollute the oceans, destroy forests, produce a lot of waste, and so on. I will cover three of the most crucial environmental issues caused by humans and how to prevent them.|
|Body Paragraph 1||One of the significant environmental issues in the modern world is pollution. It leads to many other issues like the greenhouse effect, global warming, and different diseases. There are different kinds of pollution such as air, water, plastic, light pollutions, etc. Here’s the list of some things we can do to prevent it: recyclereduce car rides use less plasticreuse items.|
|Body Paragraph 2||Deforestation is also a result of negative human impacts. Deforestation leads to climate change, increasing carbon dioxide, soil erosion, and so on. To prevent deforestation, we can: plant treesbuy recycled goodstry using fewer paper products.|
|Body Paragraph 3||(https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/causes-effects-solutions-of-overpopulation.php#Incredible_Solutions_To_Overpopulation) Overpopulation is an equally serious issue. It is caused by mortality rate reduction, medicine improvement, and other things. Overpopulation leads to deforestation, global warming, overuse of resources, water pollution, etc. Some of the ways of overpopulation prevention are: provide better educationIntroduce a new tax policy.|
|Conclusion||To sum up, human impact on Earth is indeed huge. However, there are numerous ways to prevent the negative effects on nature. An eco-friendly environment starts with each of us, so we are capable of making a difference.|
🗑️ Effect of Plastic on Environment Essay: Writing Prompt & Example
Plastic undoubtedly plays a significant role in our life.
In your essay, you can list the reasons why plastic is damaging. You can also suggest ways of how we can reduce the usage of plastic.
Some of the topics you can mention in your essay:
- Plastic effect on animals
- The reasons why plastic is toxic
- Plastic decomposition and why is it harmful
- What can we replace plastic with?
Effect of Plastic on Environment Essay Example: 250 Words
|Introduction||Plastic is one of the most convenient materials. It is flexible and strong. However, it’s also highly harmful to the environment. Plastic pollution is one of the most significant environmental issues of the modern world. So, how exactly does it harm nature, and what can we do to prevent the damage?|
|Body Paragraph 1||The main problem is that plastic takes more than 400 years to decompose. It also releases some toxic substances under high temperatures. Moreover, plastic travels all around the world and can be found almost everywhere on Earth. It also has entered the food chain, so it affects nearly every living creature.|
|Body Paragraph 2||Another reason why plastic is dangerous is microplastic. Microplastic is pieces of plastic that are no more than 5 millimeters long. It is dangerous because it can get into our bodies with food or water. Microplastic might also lead to different diseases such as colon cancer and others.|
|Body Paragraph 3||Plastic is not only harmful to nature and people but is also deadly to animals. They eat it and get stuck in it. A lot of sea animals are found dead with plastic in their stomachs or around their bodies. If people can somehow control the usage of plastic in their lives, animals can’t. It makes them more vulnerable.|
|Conclusion||To sum up, although plastic has a lot of various advantages, it is also very damaging. To stop plastic pollution spread, we need to either use it consciously or cut out plastic usage as much as we can.|
Now you are ready to share your thought on environmental issues in your essay. What is your opinion on environmental issues? What topic would you like to write about? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
❓ Environment Issues FAQ
How have approaches to environmental issues changed over the years?
Over the years, environmental problems have become more complex. It takes more time to study and identify them. However, technology is constantly developing and contributes to solving environmental problems now.
Why is it important to cooperate with other countries on environmental issues?
A lot of issues such as air pollution or climate change are very wide-range. If people can’t cross the different countries’ boundaries that easily, these problems can. So, it can only be solved by international cooperation of different countries. That is why we should support international nonprofit organizations.
What are some of the major environmental issues in Europe?
Some of the major environmental issues in Europe are: • climate change • nuclear waste • biodiversity loss • waste disposal • deforestation • water pollution.
Why is globalization potentially damaging to the environment?
Globalization has different positive impacts on the world. However, it has contributed to environmental damage as well. Globalization leads to consumption and export increase. These also lead to the rise of gases and the used fuel amount. Finally, the greenhouse effect is increasing because of that.