An argumentative essay is a piece of writing where you need to prove your point of view using evidence and facts. You also should consider counterarguments to overview an opposing claim.
custom essay specifically for you
for only $12.00 $10.20/page
The structure of an argumentative essay comprises introduction, at least three body paragraphs, and a conclusion. The topic of your argumentative essay can cover some debatable issues. Unfortunately, there are plenty of them nowadays. Our experts have prepared an up-to-date compilation of the sharpest social issues of 2021. Check them below.
⚖️ Choosing a Controversial Topic for an Argumentative Essay
But first, let’s quickly revise the critical aspects of coming up with a good argumentative essay topic.
- It should be interesting for you. But don’t make it a discussion of personal matters. Also, ensure that the issue you describe is familiar to other people.
- Consider how much information your topic covers. It should be broad enough to let you find suitable sources. It should be narrow enough, so there is no impression that something is missing.
- Make sure your topic is relevant but not overused. To check it, just search how many scholars have already discussed your question. If you have any doubts, ask your instructor about your choice.
- Use mind-maps and brainstorming. These tools help very well with choosing the focus. Just write down all ideas you have and pick the best one.
- There should be counterarguments to your arguments. The topic should imply that you will describe more than one opinion in your paper.
- Think of a specific question to form your title. In addition to expressing your opinion, there should be an answer to the question posed at the beginning.
🛐 Argumentative Essay Topics on Religion
Religion has always been a very controversial topic. It provokes many discussions and disagreements. That is why religion gives plenty of space to write an argumentative essay. Be careful when formulating your thoughts on this topic not to offend anyone.
Take a look at these essay titles on religion:
100% original paper on any topic
done in as little as
- Does being religious mean that you have higher moral standards?
- What is the role of Christianity in history?
- Does Islam promote aggression towards other religions?
- Is there only one true religion?
- Should children be educated on religion at school?
- Should parents impose religion on their children?
- Can atheism be considered a belief or a religion too?
- Do any religions promote or justify violence?
- Do religions interfere with politics in the United States?
- What is the correct definition of the word “religion”?
- Should there be any control of religious clothing worn in public?
- Can you believe in God but don’t belong to a particular religion?
- Should religious organizations pay taxes in the United States?
- Can anyone create their own religion and worship their Gods?
- Do atheistic societies tend to be more economically developed?
- How can you define when a belief system becomes a religion?
📚 Philosophy Argumentative Essay Topics
There are so many questions that have been puzzling humans for centuries. We know that you thought about them at some point too. An argumentative philosophical essay will help you explore your inner world while drafting your paper and doing research.
Here is our selection of Philosophy essay titles.
- Can you say that some people are good and some are evil?
- Are you born with your character featured, or do you develop them?
- Does every person have their destiny or mission?
- Do you believe that there are “white lies”?
- Can you break the rules of morality to do something good?
- Is being honest always the best decision?
- Can you entirely separate your public and private lives?
- Does it mean you will succeed in life if you are a good student?
- Is being egoistic beneficial for a person?
- Is time traveling potentially dangerous?
- Is it possible to achieve total equality among humanity?
- Would you like to be immortal?
- Is it possible to help everyone who is in need?
- Will there be a time when people no longer need to work?
- Should there be stricter censorship on the Internet?
- Does society shape our personalities, or do we do it ourselves?
- Is it possible to change your character just because you want to?
⚔️ WW2 Argumentative Essay Topics
Regardless there are tons of information, World War II still provokes many debates. It is a perfect topic for exploration for your history or anthropology class.
This is our list of topics on World War II:
- Was there a way to prevent World War II?
- Should Japanese ministers pay their respect to the Yasukuni shrine?
- Was releasing the Land-Lease Act the right decision?
- Was bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki a necessary measure?
- Did World War II affect gender equality in Europe?
- What influence did Holocaust have on the world?
- Was it possible for soldiers to get back to everyday life?
- What role did propaganda play during World War II?
- Was it possible to save more civilian people during World War II?
- Why were the Normandy landings successful?
- Did World War II affect the rights of African Americans?
- Did World War II stimulate science and new inventions?
- Was World War II the most crucial war in history?
- What was the role of the Soviet Union in World War II?
- When was the right time for the United Kingdom to declare war on Germany?
- Was World War II the main cause of the Cold War?
- Was it right to keep neutrality during wartime for the United States?
♀️ Feminism Argumentative Essay Topics
It doesn’t matter if you are male, female, or a non-binary person. The feminism movement affects your life. As gender equality is such a sensitive issue these days, it gives a great chance to write a worthy paper. There is also a wide choice of research on this topic. Check our new article about Feminism & Women Empowerment to learn about the ongoing discussion.
specifically for you!
Here are some essay titles on feminism:
- Is feminism a gender issue or a humanity issue?
- Do we still need the feminist movement in the United States?
- Women empowerment helps to fight poverty.
- Should a woman take a man’s surname in marriage?
- Is it possible to change the patriarchal society in Islamic countries?
- Why is there more violence against women than men?
- Why do we need to educate children on feminism?
- Does feminism imply hatred to all men?
- Why do women need feminism in Asia?
- Should famous feminists be role models for girls?
- What historical figure made the most impact on feminism?
- Is feminism beneficial for the global economy?
- Does feminism have a positive effect on men?
- Do feminists believe women are better than men?
- Should we consider Scandinavian countries a standard of feminism?
- The reasons why there should be equal educational rights for men and women.
- Is radical feminism dangerous for society?
🚼 Abortion Argumentative Essay Topics
Abortion can be a question of morality, health, and gender equality. Many people don’t share the same opinion and are mainly divided into pro-life and pro-choice camps.
Choose your essay topic from the list here:
- Is making abortion the same as committing murder?
- Is abortion dangerous for women’s fertility?
- Does legalizing abortions reduce the birth rate?
- Should late-term abortions be banned completely?
- Are abortions harmful to women’s mental health?
- Is a fetus a separate human or a part of a women’s body?
- Are abortion laws in China justifiable?
- What are the main factors that force women to have abortions?
- Does banning abortion stimulate illegal abortions?
- The main reasons why women should have a right to abortions.
- Are you pro-choice or pro-life, and why?
- Should abortions be done only with the consent of a father?
- Do rape victims have an exclusive right to abortion?
- How does the right to abortion apply to gender equality?
- What are the main reasons for banning abortions?
- What can happen if abortions are banned in the United States?
- How and why abortion became a political rather than medical issue?
🏳️🌈 LGBTQ Argumentative Essay Topics
While the LGBTQ community becomes more prominent and influential, there are still many issues to address. People have strictly opposing opinions on this matter, and the debate never ends. You can use this controversy to write a relevant argumentative paper.
Here are some topics on the LGBTQ issue:
written from scratch
by professional specifically for you?
- How does growing up in same-sex families influence children?
- What is the right way to support a child who makes a coming out?
- How to stop bullying of LGBTQ children at schools?
- Is it real to influence and change a person’s sexual orientation?
- Why are some people still homophobic in the 21st century?
- What is the best way to eliminate discrimination against the LGBTQ community?
- What are the main challenges LGBTQ people face?
- Is there still a need for binary toilets?
- Is life harder for non-binary people?
- From what age should people have an opportunity to change their gender?
- Why should people become more tolerant towards the LGBTQ community?
- How to fight LGBTQ discrimination in Arab countries?
- Is it possible to be a religious LGBTQ person?
- Does the media portray LGBTQ people in the right way?
- What anti-discrimination laws do we need to ensure equality?
- Is it dangerous to make a public coming out?
🎼 Music Argumentative Essay Topics
Are you an eager music fan? Or do you just listen to music from time to time? In any case, you can always write about music. Many controversies surround musicians, song lyrics, fame, and tastes. As music never loses popularity and always has something new to offer, it is an excellent choice for a paper.
Pick one of these music essay titles:
- Does music taste say a lot about a person?
- Are stereotypes about fans of certain kinds of music true?
- What is the most controversial music band of all time?
- What is the most contentious song that you know?
- Should there be any age restrictions for music?
- Have you ever judged a person by their music taste?
- Is it hard to be famous for musicians?
- What happened to Kurt Cobain on the day of his death?
- Why are some famous and rich musicians unhappy?
- Do you need to create a specific image of yourself to be successful in the music industry?
- Why are some people intolerant towards others’ music tastes?
- Can you naturally shape your music taste?
- Why do some popular songs become classics, and some are soon forgotten?
- Why is music taste a private issue to some people?
- Why do famous musicians become role models for kids?
- Is live or studio music better?
😈 Argumentative Essay Topics on Bullying
We all have heard about it. We all have seen it with our eyes. We all want to fight it. However, it still is a problem not only in every school but even among adults. That is why we need to draw attention to this issue. Writing a paper is one of the ways to popularize the discussion.
Choose your essay topic on bullying here:
- How can we stop bullying at high school?
- Why do children become victims of bullies?
- What are the main signs that can reveal a kid being bullied at school?
- Why are children afraid to tell their parents about bullying?
- Is bullying harmful to a person’s mental health?
- What is the right way to educate children on bullying?
- Is bullying different from harassment or conflict?
- At what point can jokes become insulting?
- What is the best way to protect children from cyberbullying?
- Why do people bully each other?
- Is it possible to be bullied without knowing it?
- What kind of punishment should there be for bullies at school?
- How much do parents know about their children when it comes to bullying?
- What should you do when you witness bullying?
- Is it possible to defend children from bullying in the family?
- What should you do when someone bullies you?
- Can children protect themselves from bullying without adults’ help?
- Can bullying among children be unintentional?
🥦 Food & Obesity Argumentative Essay Topics
Nutrition concerns everyone. Whether you’re unsure what kind of diet to follow or what dressing is the best for your dish, you think about food.
Use one of these topics to write an argumentative essay on food and obesity:
- Are there any foods and drinks that make you fat?
- Can you eat healthy and still gain weight?
- Is being vegan or vegetarian better for health?
- Is junk food always more delicious than healthy food?
- Is body mass index the best way to tell if you are overweight?
- Are superfoods healthy, or is it just marketing?
- Is thinking about food constantly harmful to your mental health?
- What is the best way to gain knowledge on proper nutrition?
- Do you need to give up junk food completely?
- Is sugar dangerous for your health?
- Is total control over your diet a good idea?
- Do obese people create discomfort for others?
- Is body positivity a healthy movement when it comes to obesity?
- Why do healthy women think they are overweight?
- Is obesity a physical or a psychological problem?
- Should any laws fight obesity in the United States?
👻 Funny Controversial Topics
Well, there is always some place for humor. Why not write an argumentative essay on a funny topic? It is your choice about how to serious to be when you look for the topic. However, remember to look for proper facts supporting the opinion in this case.
Here are our best funny topics for an argumentative essay:
- Can you assume that hotdog is a sandwich?
- Is Harry a better spouse for Hermione?
- What is the worst movie of all time?
- What was the worst acting that you have ever seen?
- How many towels should there be in a bathroom?
- Does mayo make food better or worse?
- What movie did not meet your expectations?
- What is the most stupid thing you wanted for Christmas as a child?
- What is the strangest job that you would like to apply to?
- How often do you need to wash your clothes?
- What TV show has the most disappointing ending?
- What kind of fashion is the most ridiculous?
- What is the strangest dish that you truly enjoy?
- Can a person agree that they have a bad sense of humor?
- Is procrastination always bad for you?
- What is the best meme you can find online?
- Why do people find their pets amusing?
- What is the best way to annoy your friends?
- How to make people think that you are always busy?
- Why should you drop out of college?
- What is the most pointless thing you have ever bought?
- Who was the celebrity crush of your childhood?
- What do your pets do when you are not at home?
- Why are some sports cool and some not?
- Does every person think that they have good taste?
- Who is the best person to match on Tinder?
- Why are fail videos so funny and popular online?
- What is the wort thematic party you can ever imagine?
We are sure that you have found a good topic and plenty of inspiration!
If not, try our Free Essay Topic Generator. This tool is made to provide students with any kind of essay topic.
Good luck with your essay!