If you are ready to discover genuinely fresh classification essay topics, this article is for you! We will introduce 155 inspirational classification essay ideas that will make your papers rock. We will explain what a classification essay is, and also describe some features of classification essay structure and format! Now is the time to choose your favorite idea from the following essay topics list. Enjoy your excellent grades and the envy of your classmates.
custom essay specifically for you
for only $12.00 $10.20/page
❓ What Is a Classification Essay?
A division or classification essay is an essay that aims to evaluate one’s skills of categorizing and generalizing. The task is to organize things into categories. Before doing this, you’ll need to choose and describe the criteria for classification. You’ll also need to provide several examples of things from each category. For instance, when writing an essay on mobile platforms, you might distinguish the following categories: iOS, Android, Blackberry, and Windows Phone.
🔑 How to Write a Classification Essay? Key Principles & Steps
A classification essay divides objects into groups according to a particular system, depending on the subject.
|1. Make sure you use the same classification principle for all objects. The categories should be completely separate. Do not include categories inside of each other or classify objects into several categories at once. |
2. Decide on the order of the objects. You can choose any order, but make sure that your logic is understandable and clear.
3. Make your thesis statement clear from the very beginning. The reader should know what topic you will discuss. The thesis should help to understand the main idea quickly.
|You can divide Facebook users, depending on their level of activity, into the following groups: |
– Online zombies
– Daily visitors
– The “forgot my password” type
Writing a Classification/Division Essay: 5 Steps
Below are the five steps that will help you write a successful classification essay.
Step #1: Choose a Classification & Division Essay Topic
This idea is the central concept behind classification and division essays. Unlike other essay types, a good classification essay usually describes how the parts relate to the whole in a given category. When choosing a topic for a division essay, keep in mind that you should divide the topic into important categories. In the article, we will suggest various classification essay topics. They may inspire you and give you the overall idea of what one should look like. Remember, a good classification and division essay topic needs to be easily divided into categories.
100% original paper on any topic
done in as little as
Step #2: Define the Categories of your Classification Essay
A classification essay combines two different techniques:
- Firstly, you need to divide a complex and difficult topic into subtopics
- Next, you need to determine what categories are needed and what information fits into those specific categories
For example, a newspaper. All the information inside is divided into different parts. There are news, advertisements, and classifieds. Then the information is also classified into different categories. The news may, for example, be categorized as sports, international, local, lifestyle, etc.
Before starting an essay, make sure you have chosen an organizing principle. Information can be organized chronologically, logically, etc. You also need enough examples and supporting details for each category of your classification and division essay.
Step #3: Create a Thesis Statement
Developing the correct thesis statement is crucial. The main idea of the essay is summarized and expressed in a thesis. Once you have decided on the purpose, group, and categories, develop a thesis statement.
specifically for you!
- describe the basis of the classification
- name what group of people or things you intend to classify
- label the categories you have developed
“The last five U.S. presidents have practiced physical fitness regimens that varied from the formal to the informal. They have been either disciplined public joggers, regular private gym-goers, or casual, active sports enthusiasts.”
Step #4: Make a Classification Essay Outline
Outlining your classification essay is an essential step if you want to get a great essay. It helps you keep your paper organized and flow from point to point naturally. It also allows you to be more flexible. An outline provides a structure for what you will articulate in every section and every paragraph of your essay. Take a look at the table below!
|Introduction||– What is going to be categorized |
– The purpose of the essay
– Thesis statement – identification of the categories
|Body||– Category 1 (explanation of the criteria, discussion of the strength or weaknesses, examples that would fit into the category) |
– Category 2
– Category 3
|Conclusion||A summary of each category and a recommendation of one category over the other.|
Step #5: Remember Classification Essay Structure
It is essential always to remember the basic essay structure.
|Introduction||The introduction introduces the topic and familiarizes the reader with it. It needs to begin with a hook that catches the reader’s interest and attention. Don’t forget about the thesis sentence.|
|Main Body||The body supports the main ideas and points presented in the thesis. Each point is developed by one or more paragraphs. It should be supported with specific details and examples. The details can include support from research or experiences, depending on the assignment.|
|Conclusion||The conclusion brings together all the significant points. It restates the thesis statement and leaves readers with a final thought.|
📇 Classification & Division Essay Topics
Below you’ll find 155 classification essay topics in various fields and different levels of study.
written from scratch
by professional specifically for you?
Classification Essay Topics for College Students
We have introduced some of the main principles of classification/division papers. Now, we will write about and introduce some good topics for the classification essay. This classification essay list can help you to tackle this unique type of essay creatively.
- Facebook users
- YouTube videos
- Search engines
- Computer users
- Dormitory rooms
- Friends in need
- People queuing at the dentist
- People in the street when it rains cats and dogs
- Most annoying songs
- Dancing styles
- Movie endings
- Extracurricular activities
- College athletes
- College fraternities
- Parenting styles
- Child-parent relationships
- Students and their study habits
- Students during an exam
- Students during a class discussion
- Television shows
- Shop assistants
- First dates
- Ways to apologize
- Happy couples
- Reasons (not) to get married
- Ways (not) to resolve a personal conflict
- Christmas gifts
- New Year’s parties
- Halloween costumes
- Attitudes to sports
- Ways to quit smoking
- Sports fans
- Sports coaches
- Ways to spend a dinner break
- Sales representatives
- Shopping behaviors
- Types of restaurant decor
- Family dinners
- Public speakers
- World religions
- Political regimes
- International organizations
- Decision-making strategies
- Types of motivation
- Change management strategies
- Clients’ behaviors in conflictual situations
- Sources of energy
- Evolution theories
- Debating strategies
- Stress-coping strategies
- Responses to jokes
- Laughter sounds
10 Classification Essay Topics with Categories
Here are the top 10 topics and category examples!
|71.||Ways to quit smoking||Nicotine replacements, physical activities, stop smoking programs|
|72.||World religions||Abrahamic Religions, Indian religions, Iranian religions|
|73.||Political regimes||Democratic, totalitarian, authoritarian|
|74.||Christmas gift||Smart gift, unique gift, impulsive gift|
|75.||Tourists||Business tourists, food tourist, adventure tourist|
|76.||Television shows||Sports, kids/children, travel/holiday, documentary|
|77.||Public speakers||Transformational speaker, motivation speaker, educational speaker|
|78.||Dates||Coffee date, bar date, movie date|
|79.||Vacations||City vacation, beach vacation, resort vacation|
Classification Topics for a Descriptive Essay
In case you might want to consider writing a descriptive or exemplification essay, we are introducing 12 extra topics that may help you.
First, you have to remember that the descriptive essay asks the student to describe something—object, person, place, experience, emotion, situation, etc. This kind of writing encourages the student’s ability to create a written account of a particular occasion or experience. While working on a descriptive essay, try to use vivid and clear language, use your senses, and leave an impression on the reader.
Here are some classification essay topics samples:
- The influence of literature on daily life. Consider some examples and thoroughly describe how they affected people in certain situations.
- Behavior in critical situations. Exemplify typical and atypical behavior of people you know (or yourself) in different extreme situations or imagine how you would react.
- Most influential phenomena in the 21st century. Draw a few examples from modern history and chose one of them explaining your selection.
- Conflict of generations. Describe how sides of the conflict react to the same situations and draw a conclusion stating what can be done to fix the issue.
- Creativity in daily life. Explore the meaning of creativity and explain how it affects our lives on a daily basis.
- Circumstantial wisdom. Describe some situations from your life and what wisdom you have gained from them.
- Car ownership in a future city. Give some examples of how cars would look like 50 years from now.
- The Second World War lessons. Exemplify the modern-day life aspects that might have formed under the influence of WWII.
- Physics in daily life. Identify real-life situations where the knowledge of physics could be a game-changer.
- Importance of physical education. State your opinion on why PE is so important in life, mentioning examples of famous people.
- Everyday moral choices. Describe what moral decisions you have to take every day and whether you think you choose right.
- Daily heroism. Think about the people whose work we do not notice but who have great importance in our lives.
Easy Classification Essay Topics about Yourself
Essays about yourself are usually one of the simplest topics. It is always easier to write about yourself rather than an abstract object.
If you want to write about yourself, here is a bunch of simple essay topics to consider:
- My sources of inspiration. You may describe what keeps you going every day.
- Inspiring stories that changed my life. Here you may remember an inspiring story from your childhood that someone told you or you read yourself.
- My favorite personality from real life. You could write a descriptive essay about a modern person you know or read about.
- My favorite book character. The narration might provide an explanation of why you chose this particular character.
- My favorite success story. You can choose a real-life person who achieved success and describe his or her path.
- Modern cultural trends in my country. Describe one or two significant cultural trends and elaborate how they are influential on different groups of people.
- My personal life goals. In this essay, you might critically and retrospectively think about what you wanted to achieve in the past and now. Also, tell about how your goals have changed and what the present motivation behind them is.
- My modern role model. Describe who you are inspired by and what is so special about him or her.
- Role models of the past and their relevance to me. This is one of the essays on people where you can review some books or internet sources to find role models of the previous 50 years and discuss their relevance to you personally.
- A motivational speech I admire. Choose one example of a motivational speech, describe its relevance and how it has changed you.
- Leisure activities I would rather do. Write an essay about the things you would prefer to occupy your free time with. Mention why you would consider changing your present activities.
- Motivational quotes that give me strength. A motivational essay on life that sheds light on the words that have special meaning for you. Mention a few examples of how the chosen quotes inspired you to do something.
- The teacher that inspired me. You might choose this topic if you have such a teacher and write about the things he or she inspired you to do.
- The most influential person in my life. A descriptive essay that gives the reader an understanding of a personality of a person you chose to write about and how he or she influences you.
- Essay for a scholarship. A typical scholarship essay where you build your arguments on why you need it and what you will achieve with it.
- Who am I? A written answer to this existential question lets you enhance your qualities as an essay maker.
- My place in a world. Another interesting essay where you can write about how you are going to contribute to society as a human being.
- My culture and ancestry. Here you may elaborate on what your parents’ and grandparents’ culture is and whether you associate yourself with it. If yes, then to what extent.
- Minimum and maximum of things you need for a living. Describe what you need to live the life you picture for yourself in your worst and sweetest dreams.
- Internet habits at different times. Here you might research into what people usually did on the internet when it first became available to the masses as compared to what people do there now.
- Internet behaviors of different social groups. An example of a classifying and divisive essay where you need to identify and tie behaviors to a specific social group.
- Internet habits in different cultures. Another essay on differences in Internet use. You can ask representatives of other cultures how they usually surf the Internet and write about it.
- Internet hobbies. Write about how you can productively spend your time online.
- Influence of games on health. A popular topic where you can express your opinion and cite reputable sources.
- Gaming habits of boys and girls. An analysis by division where you identify gender differences in gaming habits.
- Problems of a modern-day social media. Describe a few problems, name their source, and how they influence internet users.
- My favorite website. State your opinion on why you like this website and describe its contribution to society.
- Practical ways of searching information on the Internet. Enumerate several techniques and describe how they make the search more productive or easy.
- Online vs. offline games. A division paper where you need to describe features of online or offline games, stating your opinion on which is best.
- Online learning techniques. Research sources and create a list of the most useful and practical techniques for learning on the Internet.
- Online teaching. Imagine yourself in the role of a teacher and describe how you would organize the learning process for your students.
- Best websites for e-learning. Name a few examples and state their advantages in comparison to others.
- Internet commerce. A college essay where you can describe ways people sell and buy goods on the Internet.
- Internet of things. This is one of the essay kinds where you have you be specific about the terms. Give an explanation of the Internet of things and state how it affects today’s world.
- Big data. Define reputable sources and describe the term’s influence.
- Future of the Internet technology. Try to imagine what would become of our experience on the Internet in 10-30-50 years.
- The emergence of the Internet. In a story-telling mode, narrate about the internet was created.
- Classification of online businesses. Write a categorical essay on the types of online enterprises and their characteristic features.
Classification Essay Topics about Friends
Here are some classification paper topics for college students about friends:
- Types of friendship pointed out by Aristotle. Explain the three types of friendships pointed out by Aristotle. What were the reasons for his classification?
- Importance of friendship in your life. Think about the importance of friendship. What types of friends exist? What importance do they have in your life?
- The characteristics of friendship. Think of the main characteristics of friendship. What kind of people can you call friends?
- The major differences between a good friendship and the bad one. Think of some qualities that make up a good or a bad friendship.
- The effects of friendship. What kind of effects does friendship have on a person? Think about the ways friendship influences a person.
- Love and friendship. What are the differences between love and friendship? You can come up with the types of characteristics that define friendship and love.
- The purpose of friendship. What kind of purpose can a friendship have?
- Friendship and enmity. The difference between friendship and enmity. Think of the qualities that distinguish friendship and enmity.
- Major qualities of a true friend. What the qualities of a true friend?
- Friendship and its effect on the person. Think of ways friends can influence one’s character or life.
Other Classification & Division Essay Topics
Below you’ll find some extra classification essay topics for various fields and levels of study.
Classification Essay Topics on Sports
Here are some examples of classification essay topics you can use while writing a division essay about sport:
- Winter Paralympic sports. Introduce Paralympic games to the reader. Talk about the kinds of sports that people compete in during the games.
- Changes in Olympic sports. Think of the changes that were introduced to the Olympic games.
- Challenges associated with team sports. Talk about challenges that team sports deal with. Why is it hard to be a team player?
- The most expensive sports. List the most expensive sports. Explain why.
- Extreme Sports. What kinds of sports are considered extreme? Why?
Classification Essay Topics on Music
There are the topics you can use while writing about music:
- Types of musical instruments.
- Greatest classical musicians.
- Major types of music.
- History of national music.
- Modern art music.
Classification Essay Topics for 6th Graders
Below are some perfect division essay topics for the 6th Graders:
- School game sports in your country.
- Unusual school subjects.
- Weekend activities in your country.
- Different political beliefs.
- Describe different personality types.
👀 Classification Essay Example
|Topic||Describe different personality types|
|Thesis statement||Personality is related to a person’s characteristic pattern, thought, feelings, and behavior. Everyone’s personality is unique. One of the most popular classifications is that of extroverted and introverted sensation.|
|Main Body||Extraverted sensation:|
Every paragraph should include a topic sentence and a supporting sentence.
|Conclusion||A summary of each category and a recommendation of one category over the other. |
Example: In conclusion, it can be said that personality type constitutes of several factors, and each of them has specific criteria. A person with an extroverted personality, for instance, tends to have positive thinking and get energy from being around people. In contrast, an extroverted person needs to spend more time with themselves to feel recharged.
Learning how to write good essays may take time and practice; however, it is not impossible. In this article, we have introduced 155 topics for your essay. Don’t hesitate and start writing now – practice makes perfect! Please leave comments and suggest your ideas for the classification essay topics!