Classification is a useful method of organizing data and simplifying complicated notions.
Consequently, a classification essay is a type of written assignment that is aimed to classify the subjects or, otherwise, to estimate each of them placing under a relevant category.
In short, classification essays rank the blocks of objects related to a common standard.
Guidelines for the Classification Procedure
When you classify, you separate the members of a group into categories whose participants associate themselves with similar characteristics. Based on what reason do you assign participants to definite categories?
Consequently, you have the principle of classification.
But specifying characteristics of, for instance, a "hard-working students" group might destroy the classification by modification of its basics, because participants of the "hard-working" group can at the same time be members of any other divisions.
Therefore, applying more than one principle in this way makes categories “coincided”. So, the important thing to keep in mind is the usage of the only one principle when writing a classification essay.
Making Your Classification Essays Adequate
Once you have defined the principle of classification for yourself, make sure the classification involves all group members. To elude omission of members and to simplify the analysis, you should divide the group into more than two classes. As usual, three or four ranks (categories) are the average for most classification essays.
But when a huge group is already divided into categories whose participants have mutual attributes, there might be a few not fitting ideally into a specific category. For example, you write a classification essay on public policy, classifying political figures as liberals or conservatives. Since some policy-makers may be conservative about some issues and liberal when it comes to others, it would be logical to assume any variations in the classification.
Methodology of the Classification Essay Writing
After above-mentioned phases in the process of writing a classification essays, you need to consider each of the categories. In the next paragraphs of your classification essay, it is recommended to spare one paragraph for each category.
When considering each category, use the following items:
- Indicate the group. If it has a specific title, indicate it.
- Depict or characterize the category showing what the common definitions of this category and its participants are.
- Insert examples. In most cases, it is helpful to demonstrate the characteristics by providing one or two samples.
- Differentiate this category from the others. Discussing their features by comparing and contrasting the second category with the first one.
Classification Essays: Your Victorious Way
Here are our personal advices for you to write a really effective paper:
- Do a deep research on the issues you are to classify and compare afterwards;
- Set the factor that can become s critical one in your classification essays;
- Make a scratch of your classification essay that will include a detailed outline of introduction, body and conclusion;
- Determine the scale and the type of custom writing you are going to use.