If you are having a hard time writing your memoir, you should check out the following memoir examples. These wonderful samples will show you what a truly good memoir is and what it should look like.
A memoir is an account of your experiences related to events from your personal life or from history that you witnessed.
A memoir is sometimes also called an autobiography, as the two terms share the same meaning to some extent.
But here’s the deal:
There is a slight difference between writing a memoir and writing an autobiography and it is important to truly understand it in order to benefit most from reading an example of memoir.
An autobiography always focuses on the author’s life, but a memoir can focus on events which the author only witnessed.
Writing your memoirs is an excellent exercise and a good start for a beginning author.
You can learn from it different approaches to captivating readers, develop a skill to express emotions in a right way, and, moreover, train your writing style.
And what is more pleasant:
After practicing this assignment for some time you can have the basic knowledge on how to write a memoir book.
If you want to read about other types of assignments, read Overnight Essay blog. We can also help you to write your paper of any complexity.
A person who writes a memoir is a memoirist or… simply a student who has been assigned this task. No matter to which category you belong, the following memoir writing tips will help you write a killer memoir sample:
- choose an intriguing title (something like The Other Side of Me or A Day to Remember), it can help you a lot to interest the audience;
- feel free to express your personal opinions and impressions (use for instance: to my mind, in my opinion, it seems, it turned out that, etc.);
- good memoirs contain a lot of sensory details (for example, instead of simply stating that a girl had an angry look on her face, you can specify that her face reddened and her teeth were clenched – these are valuable observations, which can make your description more vivid);
- write about memories which are important for you – it’s impossible to write a good memoir without feeling a deep connection between yourself and the situation which you describe;
- be yourself when writing a memoir – you can hide your point of view in many academic writings, but this type of work requires you to be honest and show your personal traits;
- choose a proper tone and try to maintain it throughout your memoir essay – it’s an excellent exercise to develop your writing style;
- do a research, even if you remember the situation, try to collect as much information as you could, including your friends’ commentaries, photos, blog posts – everything that can reveal more details;
- take care about your memoir idea – whether your writing is funny, well-structured, or creative and unusual it means nothing if you don’t put a message in it.
The most famous memoir books are based on the principles listed above. Keeping to them, you can create a masterpiece or, at least, get an A at your college.
But that isn’t all we can offer you:
You can find even more truly good ideas for your memoir in this list of informative speech topics for college students.
Memoir examples to your attention
Finally, you can observe these memoir samples to know how to write one yourself.
Of course, you can use these memoir ideas, but reading these samples can also give you enough inspiration to develop your own paper from the very beginning.
My Pursuit of Happiness
Actually, I started my pursuit of happiness as soon as I came into this world. My Mom says that I was an extremely capricious baby – I could cry out loud for a rather long period of time until all my demands were satisfied. A little terrorist, with large rainy eyes and a loud voice, I was! Later on, as I grew up, I preserved my willingness to do everything to get what I wanted, but I learnt some new and more effective methods of achieving my goals.
I remember that, when I was 4 years old, I wanted to have a dog. Absolutely nothing, even my allergy to dogs, could prevent me from making my dream come true…
Comment: The title is captivating – it sets the tone, but it does not reveal all the secrets. This example of memoir contains some self-criticism. The author sounds truly sincere when s/he calls himself (herself) a terrorist.
A Revolution at School
The events of that sunny spring day turned out to change the course of history at our school. I am proud of being one of the revolutionaries, who drove the change.
The problem was our school uniform, which was more or less bearable in winter, but became a cause of students’ torture in spring, because it was too hot.
This is why the girls from our class agreed to wear jeans instead of the uniform one day, to show our protest against the silly school rule of wearing the uniform even when it was too hot for it. We felt a bit scared before the beginning of the first lesson. Mrs. Stone, our Geography teacher, had to be the first to see our silent protest…
Comment: The author expresses his/her feelings and emotions about an important event at school. Note that this sample memoir focuses more on the event, than on the author’s personality.
One Hour to Remember
I would never have thought that only one hour could change all my life views. Yet, an hour I spent stuck in a broken elevator with a complete stranger influenced my life views greatly.
The stranger wore black sunglasses and a grey coat and he behaved a bit strangely. At first, it seemed that, despite my agitation, he did not even notice that we were stuck. He looked so calm that I even wondered if he was not going to unfold his rug and start meditating in the elevator.
Instead however, we simply spoke for a whole hour and only at the end of that hour, I got to know that Mr. White (this was the stranger’s name) was visually impaired. It was unbelievable! The main lesson I learnt in the broken elevator was that a person can be happy despite any hardships s/he faces, if only s/he truly wants to…
Comment: This memoir example illustrates an important moment in the author’s life and explains the lesson that the author learnt.
Memoir essay structure
If your task is to create a memoir essay, then you may be surprised, because this type of essay doesn’t have any typical structure.
The way you do your memoir writing depends only on your style and preferences.
If you want to combine two different stories into one and underline the message by inferring it from both of them – do it.
If you want to tell a situation when you felt fear or anxiety, there is a nice place to put a flashback to make readers understand you better – then, do it as well.
Memoir writing structure is a field where you can apply creativity and originality.
What you must include are:
- the details of your memoir
- the message
- why this story matters to you
Other elements are free for you to add into your paper. Let your inner writer to choose which of them do you need to make memoir writing breath-taking.
So, after looking through these examples of memoirs, you have a pretty good idea of how to write your own papers in this genre. Good luck with your memoirs! We are certain that you will make them unforgettable!