Would you like to make your writing better without long writing courses and late night study sessions? Consider effective editing. It can be as important for writing A+ papers as your writing effort.
Quality editing is not limited to eliminating typos, grammar and spelling errors. It also means polishing the tone and logical structure. If you, however, can't afford spending twice as much more time on each paper, academic editing services can help you.
Here's what you can expect from hiring an expert editor:
How It Works?
Academic editing services can make a whole world of difference for your academic achievements. Only imagine having an expert checking your paper and correcting its fallacies before your teacher assesses it.
- Choose a trusted editing service and check users' reviews.
- Do a quick research of the website. Pay special attention to:
- Guarantees of quality;
- Pricing and discount options;
- Available options and subscription plans.
- Extra features (plagiarism check or feedback on your writing).
- Choose your perfect editor match or explain what you expect to the company's employee who will assign your order to the most appropriate editor.
- Send your text with detailed instructions.
- Wait while your order is in progress.
- Receive your edited paper and request a revision if it is necessary.
What to Expect
As it was mentioned above, detailed instructions and clear expectations can boost the effectiveness of your cooperation with an academic editing service. While proofreading your text for all kinds of typos, spelling and grammar errors is a must, you can ask for more. Answer the following questions to write clear and concise instructions:
- Would you like to check your paper for style, grammar, punctuation errors and logical fallacies?
- Is it admissible to change the logical structure of your paper if it is necessary?
- Can the editor change places of your sentences?
- Is it better to increase or reduce the word count while editing?
- Would you like your editor to pay special attention to some sections of your paper? (Strengthen introduction, polish conclusion or transitions between the different parts).
- Do you know some of your weak points the editor should pay special attention to?
- What is your preferred variant of the English language (US, UK, Canada, or Australia)?
- Would you prefer your editor to use the changes tracking mode? Alternatively, would you prefer to receive an edited document without any highlighted corrections? Note that the latter option is easier as you won't need to accept changes, but it'll be harder for you to learn from your own mistakes without the tracked changes.
Should I Use Academic Editing Service?
Some students think that using academic editing services is a luxury they don’t need. They may think that editing their papers by themselves is a better choice. If you have such doubts, you may need to understand that quality self-editing requires a lot of time and patience. First, you will need to have a good rest to distance yourself from your paper. Second, you will need to take time to read and reread every sentence of your paper, detect errors and correct them. There is, however, no guarantee that you will be able to correct every single aspect. If you have written something in a certain way, you probably wanted to have it that way.
Of course, it's only your choice whether you need to have your paper edited by an expert or not. In most cases, however, students who tried professional editing at least once understand that the benefits of this solution outweigh the possible disadvantages. You probably won’t deny that the most important projects (such as application essays, term paper and dissertations) badly need professional editor’s touch.
10 Questions to Ask Your Editor
If you have made up your mind to have your paper edited by a professional, take extra steps to find a perfect editor, matching your personal requirements. Jere’s what you can ask to spot a great candidate:
- Do you have experience in editing papers in... (your subject)?
- What is your degree?
- What is your country of origin and where do you live now?
- Do you have samples of your past projects?
- What do you like most about your job?
- What don’t you like about your job?
- Do you need samples of my past papers?
- Do you have any suggestions on how to make our cooperation more productive?
- Do you use any editing software?
- Which edition of APA (MLA, Chicago, Turabian etc.) do you use?
5 Practical Hints to Get Maximum Benefits
After you've chosen an academic editing service, you may take the following steps to be sure that you make the most out of it:
- Read through other students' reviews. It's possible that someone mentions their favorite editors' ids.
- Look for discounts and coupons. If you don’t find one on the company’s website, you may go even farther and google "Sitename discount".
- Ask if the company offers plagiarism check. It’s an important step that should not be overlooked. Though plagiarism detection is not editing, most company would offer this feature as well.
- Specify the study level you need. It will usually influence the price. Be realistic about your actual needs. If you are in your first year of college, you do not necessarily need an editor with a PhD. Avoid extra spending. At the same time, if you want to have a part of your dissertation project edited, you will definitely need an editor with a corresponding level of education and experience.
- Ask your editor to go beyond mere spelling check and add comments. If s/he finds an inconsistency or a false fact, s/he may leave a comment on that section.
Using academic editing services can be advantageous in many ways, especially if you have clear expectations. Take time to choose the most appropriate service, find your perfect editor match and formulate your detailed instructions.
Smart solutions can make your college career easier and your writing achievements better. Have your paper edited by an expert and learn from your mistakes to prevent them in future papers.