Once upon a time when I was in high school, I wrote 5 university essays that failed. To be honest, I didn't want to go to college.
I wanted to travel and see the world. I was sick at the very thought of sitting at a desk for the next 4 years.
However, I didn’t want to disappoint my Mom. That's why I promised to write my college essay and see if I get accepted. So, here are 5 not so obvious strategies that do not work:
- Telling a sober story. It might seem a good idea to tell about an experience that changed you as a person. However, if it's about a death in the family or a friend’s betrayal, forget about it. Millions of your predecessors have tried to melt the committee's hearts and they failed. They’re sick and tired of this psychotherapy practice. Why do you think your story is special?
- Discussing a pessimistic topic. Another popular option is to discuss an important social issue. When I wrote my college essay on this topic, I decided to write about mastectomy awareness and Facebook photos on this topic (of course, I attached the photos). I guess, it made somebody in the committee too sad and it didn't work.
- Being overly enthusiastic. Another extreme is going too far with showing how eager you are to get into a certain college. After I repeated several times using different words that it was my lifetime dream to get into that little-known college in Iowa (misspelling its name – it’s mandatory), I almost started to believe it myself. However, I didn't fool the committee.
- Being honest. Just like you, I've read many articles on how to write my college essay. One of the tips - 'to be myself' - I liked best. So, I decided to be myself and wrote everything about my true intentions. I wrote that I actually wouldn't mind if I don’t get accepted because most of my college graduate acquaintances work as shop assistants. I confessed that I didn’t see sense in getting a degree and getting a job that doesn't actually require one.
- Sharing secrets. I hoped that my sincere confession about how I got to the police during my trip to Holland would help me. However, it was just another way of writing a college essay that failed.
So, if you're unwilling to get that degree, simply take a good tip and go into extreme to waste it and voila – your essay fails.