The best advice for pulling a healthy all-nighter is not to do it. But statistics says that about two thirds of students ignore all health warnings and pull at least one all-nighter per semester. It can happen to almost anyone. Most students carefully cherish the tradition of procrastinating until the last moment and thus adding drama to their lives.
If you are reading this, it is probably too late to advise you to start writing a research paper early. Do you have only 12 hours or so left before the deadline? Everything is clear - an all-nighter is unavoidable… Then you should at least follow the 5 rules below. Let’s make this all-nighter as healthy as possible!
Writing a Research Paper Overnight Without Breakdowns
If you are going to pull an all-nighter, you should have an effective action plan and make some preparations:
- Drink a lot of liquid. It will help you avoid dehydration (which is the main cause of headaches) and keep your brain working. Moreover, you will need to visit the restroom more often, and these short walks will help you to stay awake.
What liquid to choose? Ice water and citrus juices are perfect. But you should better minimize the amount of coffee and by all means avoid energy drinks. This doping has only short-term effects, which are definitely not worth the health risks.
- Take care of your menu. It is totally normal that you will need some food during your study session. But be careful what you choose to eat, because when trying to write a research paper overnight, you may easily want to eat some junk food as a kind of reward for your tortures. Try to resist this temptation, and prepare some healthy snacks instead – such as peanuts and fruits.
- Make a schedule. Be prepared for the fact that, about 2-3 a.m., your productivity will inevitably drop. You can end up wasting your time and looking blankly into the monitor. After that, you might even get to the point where you will need to use matches to hold your eyelids open. To avoid getting there however, you can make a schedule including breaks (for example, plan for 50 minutes of writing followed by 10 minutes of break). The best ideas to take refreshing breaks include:
- watch a short scary video (you will easily fight sleep if you think about zombies in your bathroom);
- watch a short funny video;
- do a couple of physical exercises;
- wash your face, ears and neck with cold water;
- enjoy the sunrise.
- Choose the right music. It can be heavy metal, rock or pop music – just make certain it keeps you active and does not make you sleepy. Do not forget to use headphones so that you don't disturb your neighbors when writing a term paper all night long. Otherwise, you will have to go through an unpleasant conversation, which will take you minimum 10 minutes and probably spoil your concentration anyway.
- Avoid distractions. Forget about Facebook, Twitter, video games and other time killers.
So, these 5 simple rules are perfect for writing a research paper overnight and staying safe and sound at the same time.
Do you believe that healthy all-nighters are possible? How often do you stay up all night studying? Please, leave your comments in the section below