What is the average number of words per page? The right answer is: just enough to convey your ideas. If you find it confusing, you might want to read the details and explanations below.
How many words per page? Good old standards
An old standard is to have 250 words per page. However, the number of words on a page can depend on a number of other factors, such as:
- The length of the words you use (for example, if you use long complicated biomedical terms, you will have fewer words per page. However, your school essays about summer holidays can contain more words).
- The number of paragraphs.
- Dialogues included (or not) in your paper.
- Format (font, margins and spacing).
How many words per page if you improve the format?
When formatting your papers, you should comply with standard requirements, unless something different is requested by your instructors:
- Double spacing.
- No additional lines before and after paragraphs.
- Font 12 Arial or Times New Roman.
- Margins 1 inch (2.54 cm) on each side.
How many words per page? Much more if you delete the fillers
By the way, it is not only the number of words on a page, but also the quality of these words that matters. Filling the page with the appropriate amount of meaningless words is not a good idea at all. Try to delete these empty fillers:
- type of
- kind of
- sort of.
Delete these empty constructions, and you will see how much space will be left for your valuable ideas.
How many words per page? Divide by 3 or 4
The second step is to avoid unnecessary repetitions and wordy expressions. Use one word instead of a phrase whenever it is possible.
- Despite the fact that = although;
- at this point in time = now;
- due to the fact that = because, since;
- considering the fact that = because, since;
- on the occasion of = when;
- under circumstances in which = when.
So, as you can see, the question “How many words per page?” should be replaced with a question “How many meaningful words per page?” If you follow these simple steps, you will significantly improve your writing style and grades.