Looking for an interesting essay topic to spark your interest and impress your tutors? Who said that academic writing cannot be fun? Choose an interesting essay topic, and you will start enjoying it. You will surely find some topics matching your interests among these top 40 best essay topics.
Interesting essay topics to spark your interest
This list of essay topics is perfect for students who like to write about debatable issues and are always taking sides of disputes. Each of these topic provokes everyone to join the discussion—and may start debates that last for an hour or more! With such exciting topics, people are captivated to read your essays, whether the essay topic is persuasive or not, and offer their ideas to support or contradict your point of view.
- Extreme sports - is adrenaline worth the risk?
- If athletes cannot use steroids, is it fair for models to use Photoshop?
- 90-60-90… Do all people need to be of the same size, and does beauty need any standards?
- If there are video game competitions, can gaming be regarded as a sport?
- Facebook, MySpace, Twitter – do they improve communication skills or reduce social activity in the real world?
- Nature versus nurture – what wins?
- Can “bad” genes be an excuse for divorce and crime?
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have three adopted children. Will these kids become successful like their parents?
- Should people keep their good deeds a secret? Goodwill versus PR.
- Is life what we make it, or do we depend on blind fate?
Interesting essay topics to awaken your creativity
Here are another ten essay topics to practice in university – working with such texts is a pleasure. They are perfect to sharpen your imaginative thinking and persuasive skills, and they are captivating enough to discuss with friends or relatives. So, they are definitely not one of those essay topics to avoid in college or at home!
- The games people play and masks they wear: Sincerity versus politeness.
- Is it ethical to advertise products to children?
- Is it acceptable to use white lies in advertisements?
- Environmental pollution is a global problem. Should everyone make a small contribution to the struggle against it?
- Is one volunteer really worth ten pressed men? How can motivation improve outcomes?
- What do you think of “Calvin Klones”? Is fashion more important than individuality?
- Is there a problem of a generation gap in modern families?
- Should children follow in their parents’ footsteps?
- Zoos claim to contribute to the conservation of species. Can a zoo be a better habitat for a giraffe than the savanna?
- Should people keep pets? Do companion animals feel comfortable in homes?
Interesting essay topics to impress your tutors
Here is another list of essay topics to improve your writing. These topics are a little more difficult to research and have a lot information to cover, but they are certainly intriguing to read or discuss. If you choose one of these topics, it’ll be the first time your instructor has seen it for sure!
- Why do skeletal models still remain a modern standard of beauty?
- Unschooling and home education – their pros and cons.
- Visitors can damage historical sites. Should these places still be open to tourists?
- Is it better to follow your dream or to investigate the job market when choosing a profession?
- There are people who stop at nothing when there is a possibility to make money. Is it praise - or blameworthy?
- E-books and audio books versus printed publications – downloading e-books to save trees?
- Should internet forums use censorship, or does it harm the free speech principle?
- Should women have the right to abortion if serious handicaps are detected in their unborn children? Isn’t it an excuse of those who do not want to take care of a handicapped child?
- Ethical issues surrounding surrogate motherhood
- Should same-sex couples be allowed to adopt children?
Interesting essay topics to give you food for thought
If you still don't know what essay topics to write about, check out this thought-provoking list – there are many ideas to consider and choose. Plus, this set of questions is not only perfect for essays; they also make interesting speech topics to discuss with your audience.
- Errors in any sphere are unavoidable. Do doctors, judges, and teachers have the right to make mistakes?
- How can capital punishment be acceptable if judges’ errors are inevitable?
- Why use stick and carrot motivation? Wouldn’t stick policies be enough?
- It is said that women are from Venus, and men are from Mars. Are men and women really that different?
- Can women be regarded as the weaker sex today?
- Modern theater and remakes of classic plays – new interpretation or outrage?
- Graffiti – pieces of art or acts of vandalism?
- Can the way to success be laziness?
- Does an artist need talent to create abstract pictures?
- Live to eat or eat to live? Healthy diets versus favorite dishes.
This list of interesting college essay topics is worth its weight in gold if you look for a source of inspiration. Every interesting essay topic from this list is based on a fresh idea or a provocative question. Unique paper topics are the key to your academic success. But there's still one question – does an interesting topic mean an interesting essay, or is it just the beginning of laborious work? To find out, read further!
How to write an interesting essay
You may think that interesting essay titles do all the work, letting you add obvious examples and share ordinary ideas. But this isn’t true! To pleasantly surprise everyone with your essay, you have to be patient and spend some time on the research. Next, you should apply your skills to make interesting essay hooks for your audience. You should also constantly work to improve your writing style and make your essay attractive to read and easy to navigate.
Here are some tips to improve your writing:
- Use interesting essay phrases
To write an outstanding essay, it is essential to use specific academic language. When finding words to express ideas or describe arguments, check out this helpful list of phrases. It can help you vary your writing and improve your organization by adding linking words.
- Consider your essay structure
Always think deeply about how to create a good essay structure — it’s an important part of academic writing. Of course, you shouldn't get too creative with your structure because academic writing follows some standard rules. But do make sure that your structure is clear and precise for everyone who wants to read it. It does matter how you lead your readers through your essay and how easily they can find information.
- Make up a story
If your essay type allows it, write an interesting essay about life — when you include a personal experience in your writing, people are more likely to become invested in your essay. Of course, you won’t always have a real situation to discuss for every topic – sometimes you have to borrow ideas from other people or just use your imagination. Tell an adventurous story to your readers, and they will definitely appreciate it.
- Read interesting essay examples
Whenever you catch yourself feeling captivated by someone's essay or article, take a closer look at it. What exactly captured your attention? How can you apply these features in your own writing to develop your style? Does this author have unique tricks to make people stay, read, and share his or her essays with their friends? When it comes to writing, you always have an opportunity to learn, and it is better to learn from the best of the best.
- Know the topic you’re going to discuss
Of course, you shouldn’t write only on those topics you learned about in college or read a scientific book about. But before writing an essay, make sure that your research is complete enough that you won’t write something banal or flat-out wrong. Some of the most interesting essay topics are provocative, leading people to debate them on their grounds.
In this article, you’ve read some tips to apply in order to write an outstanding essay: know your topic, improve your language, create a good structure, and so on. And now you have a list of interesting essay topics to practice at home or in college! If you need any more help with writing essays, just write us.