There are various types of college essays, such as argumentative, descriptive, or narrative ones. In some cases, people cannot cope with these assignments because they don’t know what kind of topics to choose. If you are searching for great college essay topics, you may find this article helpful.
College Essay Topics: Society, Law, and Technologies
Sometimes, students have to write their papers on topics related to social life, law, or the development of technologies. If you are interested in one or several of these areas, you might want to take a look at the following questions. Any of them can be used as a college essay topic.
- What is the most significant invention of the previous century? How did it change our life?
- What is the most important legal act adopted in the United States in the twentieth century?
- Who is the most important political leader of the last decade? Explain why you think so.
- What is the most important event of the last five years? How did it affect you?
- If you had a chance to witness a specific historical event or period, which one would you choose and why?
- What political movement has the most profound influence on modern world? Provide examples supporting your argument.
- Discuss the positive and negative aspects of globalization. How does this economic and political process affect you?
- Should international organizations play a more important part in modern politics? When can we justify their intervention?
- Are there circumstances when the use of military force can be morally justified?
College Essay Topics: Ethics and Morality
When writing college essays, students have to respond to questions or prompts related to ethics and morality. They can be great essay topics, have a look at them:
- “The greatest good for the greatest number” is the key principle of utilitarian ethics. Explain why this principle can be criticized. Do you agree or disagree with it?
- What are the circumstances that can justify an illegal act?
- According to utilitarian ethics, a person should be judged only by the consequences of his or her actions? Do you agree or disagree with this view?
- Have you ever faced a moral dilemma? How did you resolve it?
- Should ethics play an important role for scientists? Is it possible to separate science from moral sentiment?
- Is there such a thing as white lie? Can you justify it?
- Is it always possible to reconcile law and ethics? Are there cases when an immoral act is justified by the law?
- Describe a legal act that you would like to introduce. Explain why it is necessary.
- Do lobbying groups always contribute to general welfare? Should the work of these organizations be regulated?
College Essay Topics: Art and Its Influence on a Person
If you need great college essay topics, you can certainly focus on a specific book, film, musical record, or painting. For instance, you can write a good paper by answering one of these questions:
- If you had a chance to meet your favorite writer, what kind of questions would you like to ask him or her?
- Oscar Wilde once said, “All art is quite useless.” Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Provide examples in support of your arguments.
- Should art be used for the purpose of ethical education?
- Is there any book that should be censored or prohibited?
- Should parents be able to ban books from school libraries?
- Is there such a thing as the value of art? If yes, show how art can be valued, if no, explain why it has no objective value.
- Can art serve commercial purposes? Can such use of art be ethically justified?
On the whole, topics for college essay can be very diverse. Provided that you pick one of these questions and present an interesting argument answering it, you will surely receive a good grade.