Although essay writing is one of the most common assignments, it may seem like you will never learn all the rules and requirements. The thing is that there are so many types of essays, so many peculiarities, that even the length of your paper might affect the way you complete it.
So, this time you want to get answers to your questions about 500-word essays and we’re going to help you with it.
How long is a 500-word essay?
Well, the 500-word essay length depends on several factors, particularly on how big you write or the font that you use in your 500-word essay.
You may be wondering how many pages this number of words will take. Usually, handwritten 500-word essays are about 2-4 pages long (4 pages if your writing is colossal). If you use a 12 pt font to type your paper, it will take one or one and a half pages.
Of course, you're not literally supposed to write exactly 500 words – ask your instructor for the range in which you're allowed to write. Usually, it's okay to go over the word count by 50-100 words, but don’t exceed the limit by too much.
How much time will it take to write a 500-word essay?
As a rule, it does not take too long, but everything depends on the topic you choose. If you are interested in it and have some background knowledge, it will take you 30-45 minutes to prepare an essay.
If the topic is not familiar to you, you will have to conduct additional research. In this case, you will spend about an hour or more on making your paper; it depends on how difficult research is.
You are already familiar with the 500-word essay format and structure – they are the same as for a regular essay, so you won’t have any problems there.
How should you write a 500-word essay?
The whole writing process is similar to writing any other essay – a standard five-paragraph structure is used to prepare 500-words essays. By the way, texts of this kind can be either another assignment from your teacher or a college entrance essay.
Yet, no matter whether you are writing a 500-word descriptive essay or a college personal essay, you better stick to a standard pattern of organization.
We also recommend you to analyze several free 500-word essay samples if you have some other questions. If you like these samples and want some help with your essay, write our custom writing service.
How do you develop the 500-word essay structure?
To make it even more clear, let's take a closer look at the 500-word essay structure – as we’ve mentioned already, a 500-word essay includes the same five paragraphs as always. But if you’ve never written such short essays before, it can be challenging to get used to the new word count.
So let’s recall what these five paragraphs are and talk about the specific features and purpose each of them has in short essays. Every essay consists of three main parts: the introduction, the body, and the conclusion.
Here are the details:
This part tells the readers what topic is going to be discussed. It is vital to cover every point of your essay and include a detailed thesis statement. In order not to miss any important information, students are often advised to write the body of the paper first. This tip may seem a little bit confusing, but it’s actually pretty helpful – only once the body is written is it possible to know what essential points should be covered in the introduction.
You should also remember that the 500-words essay introduction is meant to be brief and informative. Don’t add a detailed story or share personal thoughts about your topic.
This is the main section of your essay. The body is usually divided into three paragraphs according to the number of the points discussed in the paper. Especially for a 500-words essay body, it’s difficult to investigate and discuss many points in such a short text, so it’s best to choose only three main three ideas.
It is vital to prove every point with accurate arguments or opinions, but always keep in mind how many words you have left to express your thoughts.
This section should be written especially carefully. As a rule, your audience does not like drawing conclusions or searching hard for the results you’re trying to prove. So, one of the author's primary tasks is to summarize only the most important thoughts to make readers understand the main idea. Depending on the type of essay, you may try to persuade the audience by placing emotional triggers in your 500-word essay conclusion or by sharing your personal point of view.
What are the benefits of 500-word essays?
You may ask – why should you have to write a 500-words essay when the topic is broad enough to write 2,000 words or even more?
Well, there are actually several reasons for writing such a short essay:
- Firstly, it is easier for your instructor to check the papers.
- Secondly, it is excellent training for students in how to research and build logical structures.
- And, finally, it is a great exercise to embrace brevity. In the next paragraph, you’ll see what this means, so you can decide whether you need to develop this skill or not.
What is brevity?
It’s pretty simple: brevity is the skill of writing and speaking in few words.
When writing a short essay with a limited number of words, you have to express your thoughts concisely, ignoring filler words and excluding meaningless information. Such training helps improve the quality of your speech and writing.
Do you want to write with brevity?
Use these tips to write less and say more without losing any important information:
- Forget about filler words – you need them only to break the silence. But there is no time for silence when writing a 500-words essay! If a word doesn’t give your readers new information, leave it out.
- Don't count words – count ideas. Of course, you should write according to your instructor's essay plan, but try to think about the value of your paper first.
- Don't let your mind wander far from the topic – it ruins the structure and makes your essay longer. If you try to cover every single idea about some topic, a 2,000-word essay wouldn't be enough, not to mention the short length of a 500-word essay. Talk only about the central thesis, or choose a very narrow topic from the beginning.
- Use short sentences. Long sentences make it difficult to express thoughts logically and clearly. They can also misguide your readers and make your writing hard to understand. But you don't need to erase lengthy sentences; just try to restructure them – editing is another incredibly useful skill to have.
- Mind your wording. The way you develop phrases characterizes your writing style in general. Choose words carefully, and edit the text not only to get rid of mistakes but also to improve your writing style.
- Use the active voice. We often associate academic papers with the passive voice, but try to avoid using it. Why? The passive voice is ponderous and boring. When writing a short essay, focus on turning passive-voice constructions into active-voice constructions.
Our writers can explain to you the peculiarities of writing brief essays too.
When buying an essay online, remember – the format of an academic paper is an important part of the grade that you will be getting for the paper. Be sure to purchase from a custom writing company whose writers strictly follow the academic standards for an essay, research paper, or any other assignment you choose to order. At OvernightEssay.com, you can be sure that all of the formatting requirements will be followed to the last detail to make your custom paper perfect.
Buy a 500-word essay from the best custom writing service on the web – stop wasting time and receive timely writing help now!
Want to pay by PayPal? No worries! We process it too!