You’re quite an avid gamer, aren’t you? You’ve been through all the arcade games and MMORPGs that were ever made.
However, there’s one more game left. And that’s writing a PhD thesis on a current problem.
No more “how write a thesis” questions! Take your joystick, check your mouse and WASD keys and start the game!
PhD Thesis Definition: Read All Game Instructions Carefully!
First of all, you need to know what you’re dealing with. What is PhD thesis writing?
A thesis is nothing but a long research on a certain topic in order to obtain a Doctoral degree.
That’s it! This is a thesis PhD students write.
Let’s go to the next level!
PhD Thesis Structure: Another Logical Mastermind Game to Handle.
This time, you’re in for a game of logics. Here are the tips to arrange your paper and get ready to write it the right way:
- Start with the parts that you know best;
- Deal with the backbone of the thesis first;
- Add specific and concrete details to dry facts or theories;
- Add bright tables to illustrate the main relationships and statistical data;
- Use consistently specific terms and phrases to show your understanding of the issue;
- Support every idea in your paper with concrete evidence from data or existing papers and books;
- Do not restate your findings in the conclusion – interpret them!
Are you done? Good, you’ve reached the PhD student checkpoint! And now get ready for an old game to play…
PhD Thesis Writing: Avoid Typical Mistakes. Minesweeper Tactics.
Welcome to the 5D-Minesweeper game! It’s time to learn where the mines are, so that you don’t tread on them when writing the paper:
|The Mistake||Why It Is Wrong||Righting the Wrongs|
|No hypothesis||Proving/Refuting the hypothesis is the aim of a PhD level thesis||Offer your solution of the issue in question and prove it with research material.|
|Using passive voice||Active voice is the voice of modern research.||Substitute “It is considered that…” with “Scientists consider that…,” etc.|
|Excessive descriptions||Using many adjectives and adverbs makes a thesis look less trustworthy.||Avoid such words as “often,” “usually,” “generally,” “as a rule,” “great,” “based on,” etc.|
|No explanations of terms||The audience must understand everything the researcher says.||Provide a definition and a reference for each unknown term in your paper.|
|Mentioning an issue you don’t know much about||The audience will spot your hesitation and reveal your secret. That’ll be painful.||Check every single vague idea or term to make it crystal clear.|
|Not enough evidence||Each conclusion you make must be supported by a piece of evidence.||Base each of your ideas on a certain theory, case or other piece of evidence from a reliable source.|
|Lack of connection between paper parts||If our conclusions lack logics, your research results will be highly questionable!||Each time you come up with an idea, ask yourself, “How did I get to this?”|
|No mistakes at all||If there are no mistakes found during the first check, you must have got too tired and missed some slips.||Take some rest and check the paper after a short nap/chat/coffee break.|
Congratulations – you get a bonus life! Proceed to the next level.
PhD Thesis: Level Upgrade: Read Crucial Writing Recommendations.
You’re on another arcade now – remember to avoid the dangers you learnt about and don’t forget to pick these goodies:
- Draft every single section of your PhD thesis;
- Use different colors to highlight the main ideas in drafts;
- Use an adequate and solid research methodology;
- Create at least five variations of the title;
- Guide the reader through the paper with the help of a clear table of contents;
- Make your ideas sound as unambiguous as you can;
- When adding tables to the paper, first introduce them, then comment on their data;
- Present each research fact, offering sufficient evidence to support it;
- Be original and inventive.
You’ve almost reached the finish! There are just a few steps left.
PhD Thesis Creation: Scoring Maximum Points. Read Important Tips
It’s a shooting game! Hit every single piece of advice below, and you’ll get your excellent mark:
- Remember to gather as much information on the issue as you can;
- Organize your paper clearly to make it easy to read and interpret;
- When correcting a certain part of the paper, keep the old version to compare with;
- Draw a schedule to speed up your inspiration process;
- Draw the line between relevant and irrelevant information;
- Create a part which is supposed to boom (the conclusion, results, analysis, etc.);
- Make a paper that you think is interesting to read. Excite the audience!
Hip, hip, hurray – you’ve made it! You’ve won the hardest games of all. And now go from this simulator to reality. With these tips on how to write a thesis, you can be 100% sure that you’ll create a fantastic thesis for PhD level!